Friday, March 14, 2008

Reaper Returns!

And am I ever glad. It's shows like this I really wish I was a Nielsen viewer. This shows survival depends on it. So if you are one they actually count PLEASE watch! this also serves to prove that yes, I do watch scripted shows I promise!

Anyhoo, one of the larger complaints about the show thus far is it's being too formulaic. It does have monster of the week potential but with this last episode they are expanding a bit. Aside from the nab the soul, cannibal a guy who ate the brains of his victims, Sam was also determined to keep a sucky rock musician from selling his soul to the Devil.

Ahh good ol' Jerry (as was revealed to be a name he has used recently a couple of episodes ago) just as enthusiastic as ever. Yeah he puts up a good jovial front but in the end he served to remind us, and poor Sam, that he's fucking evil (eeeeeviilll I tells ya). Once Sam managed to prevent Ryan (sorry, can't figure out how to get the umlaut in there) to sign the deal (by using the recently captured soul to try and show what he may be rooming with in hell) he allowed Sam a moment of gloating before knocking down at least six aisles of the Work Bench (aka a local Costco). That was Jerry disappointed. Surprisingly in this plot thread Jamie Kennedy (last seen in Vancouver filming Kickin' it Old School) wasn't as annoying as he can be. I shuddered at hearing of his appearance but it fit the character well.

Add to the mix Cady (possibly the Devil's offspring) found the necklace that Andi refused and the usual Sam screws up, gets in trouble, then nices his way out of it occurs. When last we saw Cady, a flower died at her touch. Now she's proving to possibly do a Fatal Attraction. While it's not entirely proven she is the Devil's daughter, evidence is leaning that way.

We also have to have our sidekick bits, with Sock's Mom coming home from Vegas married and eventually kicks Sock out. It led to some nice moments with the Mother of the escaped soul. I particularly enjoyed the debate and potential cage matches of the escaped souls discussed by Ben and Sock. Personally, my money's on Fireman Soul.

There is so much yet to be addressed and even though I know there are more episodes to be filmed starting next week, I hope we can get through them all should the ax fall. We still have to find out what the deal was with the pages of the contract his father burned a while back.

I will also admit I do want this show to continue because it is filmed in my hometown. My day job is working for one of the local unions and we need to keep our crews working after the drought the writer's strike caused. We still have the possible Actor's strike to deal with but enough already. We need to keep people working!


No comments: