Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Beauty and the Geek 5!

I'm a bit wary going into this installment. For a reality show, this one usually has a lot of heart. Geeks learning from Beauties (ok, not all see CeCe from Season 3 who didn't learn a damn thing) added an interesting dimension. Sure there was inter-group friction but mostly they got along. There was one exception in the now classic reality convention black chicks fighting between Brandi and Amber. Their particular flava your ass is fatter which started with don't talk behind my back.

My first concern is lack of the usual theme song, the Pet Shop Boys Opportunities. I am hoping this only lasts this starter episode since they didn't have the opening credits as usual, just the introduction of what is happening this year. I hope it will be back next episode, for that is not the only unwelcome change.

This year it's Beauty VS the Geeks. I know they want their 'social experiment' to evolve but this to me takes away from the spirit of the show. First challenge was getting phone numbers. To level the playing field they gave the beauties Make Unders. This makes it much more fun than your average transformations. The Beauties weren't entirely ugly, just looking a bit more average. Combinations of bad skin, hair, clothes and the like. On one they used a fat suit.

Despite this the Beauties won the challenge and had to choose five geeks, half the team, to be eliminated. I will give some a bit of credit as they did agonize over the decision.

Chris: Has a girlfriend so they felt he didn't need their help.
Tommy, John, Joe: In various forms, that they had more social skills.
Tom: Apparently an attractive, dateable geek. I kinda have to agree here.

Onto the "faster, harder & more nerve wracking" quiz room. As soon as they get a question right, they are free to go. If they get it wrong, the next to buzz in has to get it right or are eliminated. It is indeed much quicker than the old version. If it wasn't for the VS aspect of this year I would like the change. Alas the last one left was John E., the Recovering Microsoft Addict, who had some sort of asthma attack at his leaving.

It's too soon to really get my favourites yet. Although the fag hag in me will gravitate towards Greg the Self Proclaimed Gaysian. Many of the Beauties were warming up to him as well. I think a majority of the Beauties seems to be pretty nice. Not completely judgemental of the the Geeks, just uncomfortable.

Early impressions: I am reserving complete judgement yet as it is only the first episode but I can't help but be still bothered by changing it to a VS instead of each side helping each other out. How can they learn and evolve as people if they don't have the direct influence of the other. I am worried for this season. What will they do if they run low on one of the sides? Mix it up? It's hard to say how this is going to go.

I'll give it next week and we'll see

No comments: